How to Import Contact Information into askSam
With the creation of the new CONTACT template for askSam it is easier than ever to import your contacts from exisiting applications such as Outlook into askSam. With a few simple steps you can import all your contacts into askSam and use the askSam export feature to send contacts back to their original application for use in PDAs, Word Processing Mail Merge letters and more.
To Import Contacts from another source
1. Export your current contact list to a delimited format - delimited formats accepted by askSam include - Comma Separated (*.CSV); Tab Delimited; Microsoft Access; Microsoft Excel, Paradox, dbase, FoxPro.
For Example: in Microsoft Outlook you can choose FILE -> IMPORT AND EXPORT. Choose EXPORT TO A FILE and select "Comma Separated Values (Windows)". Select the CONTACTS folder and give the file a name. NOTE: You can choose "MAP CUSTOM FIELDS" to select only the fields you want to export.
Note: If you have contacts in already exisitng databases such as Access or Excel there is no need to export the contacts - askSam has a direct import for these file types.
2. Open your contacts database in askSam
3. Choose FILE -> IMPORT
4. From the "FILES OF TYPE" menu select the format in which you saved your contacts.
5. Pull down the "Import Into Entry Form" option and choose the "Normal" template (basic) or the "Contact Info Complete" form
6. Browse to and select your file in the "Look In" box and select IMPORT
7. This will begin the Delimited Import Wizard. Follow the steps
w Step 1 - Select "Delimited" and press NEXT
w Step 2 - Choose you delimiter and press NEXT
w Step 3 - Match Fields from your exported contacts to the fields in your askSam file
w Step 4 - Finish
To Take Your Contacts from askSam to another application
1. Open your Contacts Database in askSam and choose FILE -> EXPORT
NOTE: askSam will allow you to exort all documents, the current document or selected documents. To Export Selected Documents choose the option from the list and use the SEARCH dialog to select the contacts you wish to export
2. Type a file name for your exported firl and choose your file format
NOTE: "TEXT DELIMITED (*.csv, *.dat, *.prn, *.txt) format can be imported or opened in most other database applications such as Outlook, Access, Excel, etc.
3. Choose SAVE
4. Open your other application and import the file created by the askSam export.